Jul 17, 2018
An Homage to Summer with Matt Bruening
Photos by Matt Bruening
We've said it before and we're happy to say it again: there's no better place to enjoy the summer than Honolulu.
With the tropical sun shining overhead, we're embracing the good times with great friends. And that means afternoons spent chilling at the beach with our toes planted in the sand, kicking back, and relaxing with a good book in our hands. It also means all-day surf sessions, late nights, and plenty of laughter with the people we love. To keep this summer pumping, we tapped the shoulder of one of our favorite people on the island, the ever gregarious and always smiling Matt Bruening, to get the inside scoop on his summer essentials.
A fashion designer and stylist by trade, Matt is undeniably hilarious and suave to the core. A quick look through his feed reveals a picture-perfect reel of the good life in Hawai'i. "To the outsider, it may seem like it's summer 24/7 here, but it's different when school's out and families are together at their favorite beaches. Just the vibe of it all makes me appreciate what a beautiful place this is," says Matt. "I love that there are so many cool events (concerts, outdoor activities, film festivals, to name a few) happening. Of course, I just love that we get perfect weather, which makes my job that much easier designing and shooting photos. It's a perfect time to strap on some fins, snorkel, and go for a swim out in the deep blue. Man, why can't it really be summer all year long?"
Matt's Summer Essentials
- Yeti Coozies - These are a staple for me to keep whatever we're sipping on cool 'til the last drop! (Town & Country Surf)
- Towel - Slowtide - I love this fun print and it makes sunbathing that much more fun when you can set yourself apart from all the other towels on the beach. (Town & Country Surf)
- Slippers - Hayn - If I could, I would live in slippers (flip-flops) all year long, which I kind of do, to be honest. I just wish they were considered formal by now! I'm just kidding, but i love the HAYN brand; they're super comfy and I'm proud to say I have a bunch of their colors in my arsenal. (Jams World)
- Pouch - I love to compartmentalize and try to keep part of my life organized. Having a go-to pouch makes finding all of my beach essentials easy and keeps everything protected from the sun, sand, and saltwater. (Patagonia)
- Boardies - Who doesn't love a good print on shorts? Aside from the usual neutrals I use in a lot of my other choices, it's fun to have these unique prints to liven up an already enjoyable day under the sun and in the ocean. (Patagonia)
- Shirt - Although my wardrobe consists of a lot of black, I really dig these easy-to-wear shirts from Jams because they're lightweight, and perfect for all summer occasions! I'm experimenting more with prints and these ones really caught my eye. They're spot-on to wear from the beach to street. (Jams World)
- Sunnies - Sometimes, it can be difficult to find sunglasses that work for my face shape, that's why I appreciate the classics like Ray Ban's Aviators. They're a summer staple and really go with everything you own, and the bonus of it being polarized is even more of a treat in itself! (InSpecs)
- The Alchemist - I can be honest and say I am a slow reader, however, this book is perfect for any time or phase of your life. You can read it a month, a year, a decade from now and it'll speak to you in different ways than it has before and I feel that's what makes it. The author, Paulo Coelho, does a good job at keeping an easy-read novel interesting, insightful and very relatable as we evolve as people.
share this article
more stories to discover
Two If By Sea
Dec 02, 2016
Twin Islands, a Hawai‘i clothing line, shares a story that goes from heartache to heartwarming.
Welcome To The Most Social Locales In Ward Village
Oct 20, 2017
Our guide to the most social media-friendly places at Ward Village
Big Bad Wolf Opens Flagship Store in Ward Village
Oct 13, 2015
The undeniably hip children's brand finds its first brick & mortar home at Ward Warehouse