Aug 06, 2018
Sustainability at Waiea
We are please to share information about sustainability at Waiea.
Waste and Recycling Management
There are trash and recycling rooms on each floor, in lieu of trash chutes. Trash and recyclables are conveniently collected by staff. This design offers an added level of service to residents, ensuring clean, effective service and encouraging recycling as part of our LEED certified building goals.
Waiea uses a highly efficient fancoil A/C system with chilled water. Heat pumps were installed to efficiently heat domestic hot water. During construction, the building's energy systems were fully commissioned to confirm optimal performance. Efficient LED lighting in indoor and outdoor areas also contributed to overall energy savings. The end result of the project's aggressive push for energy efficiency is a 25% total modeled reduction of energy use compared to more conventional building systems. So far, actual utility bills are showing even less energy use than modeled.
To further reduce this building's carbon footprint, the developer looked beyond the boundaries of the building. Since Waiea could not realistically install rooftop solar or wind turbines to offset energy use, the builder opted to invest in a substantial amount of off-site renewable energy to offset the embodied carbon from building operations and support the renewable energy industry.
Water efficiency was a capstone of sustainable design at Waiea Tower. With a 73.74% reduction of potable water use for landscape irrigation from a calculated baseline case, this project exceeded the LEED target for water-efficient landscaping. This pushes the envelope beyond industry standards for efficient irrigation water use.
Designed for more than 530 daily occupants, including residents, retail customers, and visitors, Waiea Tower uses high quality low-flow plumbing fixtures to deliver a 25% total reduction in water use compared to a conventional building.
Greener Living Tips for Residents
- Ride your bike! There is bike storage in the garage and at street level at Waiea.
- Turn off your AC when you can open the windows and run the fans.
- Reduce your water use; check out the EPA WaterSense website for more information.
- Use the building's Green Cleaning Plan to minimize exposure to toxic cleaning chemicals.
- Take advantage of the electric vehicle infrastructure in the building.
- USGBC's LEED information website
- Hawaii 2050 Sustainability Plan
- Blog post about Ward Village sustainability
- Learn about the Hawaiian Sustainability Foundation
- Hawaii Energy Education Resources
For more information about about green operations at Waiea Tower, please contact the Waiea building management team:
Waiea Management Team
Waiea at Ward Village
1118 Ala Moana Blvd
Honolulu, HI 96814
Waiea: Homage to Hawai‘i's Cultural Past
Nov 15, 2015
Waiea Pays Homage to Hawai‘i's Cultural Past, While Shaping Its Future